There are two common excuses about nutrition that I hear constantly: “healthy food doesn’t taste good” and “I don’t have time”. There’s no room for either of these excuses with this buffalo chicken chili recipe which proves to be delicious and simple. The flavor combination of the ground spices mixed with buffalo sauce is out of this world! The recipe is so easy that the chili can essentially cook itself! See for yourself that nutrition can be both delicious and convenient.
Cook Once, Eat Eight Bowls of Chili
In our fast paced lives where we try to fit in as many things as possible, cooking meals seems like one additional chore on the long to do list. I understand having a busy life and trying to pack in a million things. But it doesn’t mean nutrition and your health have to take a backseat! I usually get home from work between 7:00-7:30pm and if I am working out or going to yoga that saves basically no time for cooking dinner. So what do I do? I plan in advance. I cook very easy, basic recipes on the weekend and either refrigerate or freeze them in individual containers. One of my favorite go-to recipes is this buffalo chicken chili recipe because it requires very little effort, tastes delicious and makes food for days! It’s a win-win-win!
One of the best ways to add a very concentrated source of nutrients to your diet is by adding spices and herbs. Fresh spices and herbs are more potent than ground but sometimes it’s just not possible to do everything fresh because #life. This recipe incorporates a variety of spices such as oregano, turmeric, chili powder, and red pepper flakes that protect your cells from inflammation.
Turmeric takes the “cake” for being one of the most anti-inflammatory spices in the human diet with research attributing it to decreased risk of cancer and reductions in pain associated with osteoarthritis and inflammation. The anti-cancer activity of turmeric (through it’s bioactive compound, curcumin) is enhanced by 1,000 when paired with black pepper (through piperine). All the more reason to whip up a batch of this delicious nutrition powerhouse!
Buffalo Chicken Chili
Brigid Titgemeier, MS, RDN, LD
- 1 pound ground chicken (organic is best)
- 1 can kidney beans, strained and rinsed
- 1 can great northern beans, strained and rinsed
- 3 cups tomato sauce (with no added sugar)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 5-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup frank's red hot buffalo sauce
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Coat the bottom of a large chili pot with extra virgin olive oil and place on the stovetop over medium heat.
- Add diced yellow onion and minced garlic to the pot and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Place the ground meat in the pot and continue to saute? for an additional 5 minutes, sitting frequently.
- When the meat begins to brown, add the red pepper flakes, oregano, turmeric, chili powder, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Add the kidney and great northern beans and pour in the vegetable broth, buffalo sauce and tomato sauce. Reduce to low heat.
- Cover the chili and allow to cook for the next 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Optional: Serve with sliced avocados