These veggie faces are not just a nutritious snack but a way for kids to have fun and be creative. Making it fun is the perfect way to engage children in the process of preparing and cooking food. Try out these awesome veggie faces that require nothing but full engagement, creative juices and taste testing!
Last week the American Heart Association advised that there is nothing sweet about the health risks of excessive added sugar intake in children. An NHANES survey found that added sugar contributes to 16% of children’s calories per day, with kids averaging about 19 tsp (80 grams) of added sugar in their diet every single day. As parents and guardians, it’s important to make your children’s health a priority and that includes working with them to decrease their intake of foods and drinks high in added sugar. These veggie faces provide the perfect opportunity for kids to enjoy a nutritious snack with no added sugar and have tons of fun in the process!
- 2 brown rice cakes
- 1/2 cup spread (hummus or guacamole)
- 2 selected vegetables for the eyes
- 1 vegetable for the nose
- 1 vegetable for the mouth
- Spread the hummus or guacamole over the brown rice cakes.
- Add two vegetables in the place of the eyes.
- Place one vegetable in place of the nose and one for the mouth.
- Name your veggie face and then enjoy eating it!