Shredded Crucifer Salad
This blend of cruciferous vegetables is so vibrant and colorful. In addition to being rich in glucosinolates that have been associated with a reduced cancer risk in research, this vegetable mix is also full of vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients such as vitamin C, calcium, potassium and glucosinolates.
A Nutrient Rich Salad
The nutrient-rich ingredients in this salad make it a nutrition powerhouse. It’s rare to find this many nutrient-benefiting vegetables in one salad. Of course all vegetables are nutrient-benefiting but some more than others. You can tell by just looking at the colors in the salad that it offers a wide array of nutrition benefits, everything from vitamin C, calcium, potassium, phosphorous, manganese and lots of fiber!! This results in a salad that’s cancer-protecting, immune boosting, and inflammation quenching! All just in one bowl!
The red cabbage, green cabbage, and brussels sprouts are all members of the cruciferous vegetable family, which is what makes this salad rich in a phytonutrient called glucosinolates. These phytonutrients are thought to stimulate enzymes that decreases the effectiveness of the estrogen hormone, which may reduce risk of breast and prostate cancer, in addition to decreasing inflammation and reducing risk of stroke.
- 1 bag shredded brussels sprouts (10 oz.)
- 1 bag shredded napa cabbage (10 oz.)
- 1/2 head of red cabbage, shredded
- 2 organic apples, shredded
- 1/2 bag shredded carrots (4-5 oz.)
- 2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 lemon (juice)
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the shredded brussels sprouts, cabbage, and carrots with cold water and pat with paper towels to dry.
- Add the clean shredded vegetables to a large salad bowl.
- Chop the apples into small thin wedges and add to the salad bowl. Mix the fruits and vegetables together.
- Add the dijon mustard, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and salt and pepper to the top of the salad.
- Use tongs to mix all of the ingredients together. Chill in the refrigerator for a few minutes before serving.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 5 g||7.7%|
|Total Carbohydrate 10 g||3.3%|
|Dietary Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Sugars 7 g (Added Sugar: 0 g)|
|Protein 1 g|
|Vitamin A||Vitamin C|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.