Spaghetti Squash and ‘Cheese’Jump to recipe
Goodbye macaroni and hello spaghetti squash! Not only are we swapping out high carbohydrate, high glycemic pasta but we are replacing that with vegetables! It’s any Dietitians dream. Top your spaghetti squash with the creamy sauce in this recipe and you will be loving your veggies like you never have before! Top with a lean source of protein like shrimp, organic chicken, or tofu to make it a complete meal!
Macaroni and cheese is a popular staple in many American families although the idea of it has evolved from a high-fat, high-carb homemade meal with pasta and home cooked cheese sauce to a box of processed Kraft Mac and Cheese. We’ve gotten so lazy in the kitchen that people now opt for the plastic microwavable version because it takes too much time to boil water and cook the pasta faces of Sponge Bob Square Pants on the stove! Can you say food crisis!?
Help your kids (or yourself, if you are like me and don’t have kids!) redefine mac and cheese, for the better! This recipe is filled with vegetables, spices and herbs to make the mac and cheese experience even more flavorful and of course, nutritious!
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1-2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup carrots
- 1/2 small sweet onion
- 1 can coconut milk (full-fat)
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half, drizzle a little olive oil and add a splash of salt and pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet face down. Bake the spaghetti squash for 40-45 minutes.
- Chop the carrots, onion, and cilantro into small pieces. In a medium sized pot add coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add the carrots and sweet onion to the pot. Allow the vegetables to salute for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add full-fat coconut milk and nutritional yeast to the pot and mix together.
- Let the sauce sit on medium heat for approximately 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Next add the sauce to a blender and combine with egg yolk, cilantro, turmeric, salt and pepper.
- Blend the ingredients together in the blender.
- When the spaghetti squash is done cooking simply use a spoon to remove the seeds. After the seeds have been removed, run a fork through the spaghetti squash to create spaghetti noodles. Transfer the squash to a bowl.
- Pour the blended sauce over the spaghetti squash and add salt and pepper to taste.
Spaghetti Squash and ‘Cheese’
|Amount Per Serving:|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 24.8 g||38.2%|
|Saturated Fat 18.7g||93.5%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 30.5g||10.2%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.6g||26.4%|
|Sugars 12.7g (Added Sugar: 0 g)|
|Vitamin A 11%||Vitamin C 23%|
|Calcium 9%||Iron 11%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.