The goal of this article is to give you ideas of easy but nutritious foods to pack or buy from Whole Foods when you are traveling and away from home.
Set Yourself Up for Success
The majority of clients in our VIP Next Level Nutrition program are traveling constantly. And what I’ve found from working with them is that no matter how well they eat when they are home, the second that they are out of their typical environment, their brain shuts down and they can’t think of any nutritious foods to keep on hand. It’s too much to think about so they revert back to old habits. But it does not have to be like that if you set yourself up for success!
If you do not plan, you should not expect your food situation to go well. But it’s when you have a small plan that you can feel great about your food choices with very little additional effort.
Steps to Eating Well on the Go
I just returned from four days at an Airbnb in South Carolina where I shared some of the food staples that I purchased on Instagram. Here are more of the details to help set you up for success. Just to note, these steps will work best for a road trip but some can also apply to flights. Another thing to note: I usually stay at small Airbnbs when I travel rather than hotels because I enjoy having a kitchen.
Step 1: Pack Easy Basics
If you are driving, pack a small travel cooler with an ice pack and bring any foods that you want for the drive. Here are some of my go tos:
- Individual almond yogurt (unsweetened) or organic yogurt
- Hard boiled eggs
- Guacamole packets
- Nut Pods
- RX Bars
- Nooma (not pictured below)
Step 2: Always Pack a Water Bottle!
When driving, pack a full water bottle and when flying, bring an empty bottle that can be refilled at the filtered water stations in the airport.
Step 3: Go to a Grocery Store Near your Hotel or Airbnb
After you arrive at your Airbnb or hotel, find a Whole Foods or other grocery store in the area and go shopping for the essentials in this post.
Here are the ways that I use the foods listed above…
- Green Tea with Nut Pods or Matcha Singles with Nut Pods (can add collagen packet for extra protein)
- Kite Hill Almond Yogurt with Blueberries and Handful of Almonds
- Hard Boiled Eggs (the packet from Vital Farms includes salt + pepper)
- Turkey Wrap: Almond flour wrap, spread with guacamole and add 2-3 organic turkey slices
- Salmon Salad Wrap: canned salmon (make sure you don’t need a can opener), mixed with guacamole, salt, pepper in an almond flour wrap
- Banza Chickpea Pasta + small can of tomato chunks (not pictured)
- Right Rice + Turkey slices (not pictured)
- Whole Foods prepared food section (not pictured)–the night I went grocery shopping I also got dinner that night from the prepared food section.
- Add vegetables to any meals above: carrots, bell peppers and mini cucumbers (can also dip in guac)
- Apple with almond butter packet
- Lupini beans (these have a vinegar taste–love them because they are VERY high in fiber, low carb and higher in protein)
- Rx Bars
- Roasted almonds
- Mini cucumbers
- Dark chocolate bar (should be >70% dark chocolate) (not pictured)
- Smart Sweets (not pictured)
I hope this helps! Next time you travel, tag me in what you pack on Instagram @beingbrigid, so that I can see what you come up with!