Buffalo Chicken ChiliJump to recipe
There are two common excuses about nutrition that I hear constantly: “healthy food doesn’t taste good” and “I don’t have time”. There’s no room for either of these excuses with this buffalo chicken chili recipe which proves to be delicious and quick. Fuel your cells with optimal nutrients, your taste buds with a killer flavor combination and your schedule with plenty of extra time.
Cook Once, Eat Eight Bowls of Chili
In our fast paced lives where we try to fit in as many things as possible, cooking meals seems like one additional chore on the long to do list. I understand having a busy life and trying to pack in a million things. But it doesn’t mean nutrition and your health have to take a backseat! This is where planning in advance and cooking very easy, basic recipes on the weekend can go far. One of my favorite go-to recipes is this buffalo chicken chili recipe because it requires very little effort, tastes delicious and makes food for days! It’s a win-win-win!
One of the best ways to add a very concentrated source of nutrients to your diet is by adding spices and herbs to different dishes. Fresh spices and herbs are more potent than ground but sometimes it’s just not possible to do everything fresh because #life. This recipe incorporates a variety of spices such as oregano, turmeric, chili powder, and red pepper flakes that protect your cells from inflammation.
Turmeric takes the “cake” for being one of the most anti-inflammatory spices in the human diet with research attributing it to decreased risk of cancer and reductions in pain associated with osteoarthritis and inflammation. The anti-cancer activity of turmeric (through it’s bioactive compound, curcumin) is enhanced by 1,000 when paired with black pepper (through piperine). All the more reason to whip up a batch of this delicious nutrition powerhouse!
- 1 pound ground organic chicken
- 1 can kidney beans, strained and rinsed
- 1 can great northern beans, strained and rinsed
- 3 cups tomato sauce (with no added sugar)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 5-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup frank's red hot buffalo sauce
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Coat the bottom of a large chili pot with extra virgin olive oil and place on the stovetop over medium heat.
- Add diced yellow onion and minced garlic to the pot and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Place the ground meat in the pot and continue to saute for an additional 5 minutes, sitting frequently.
- When the meat begins to brown, add the red pepper flakes, oregano, turmeric, chili powder, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Add the kidney and great northern beans and pour in the vegetable broth, buffalo sauce and tomato sauce. Reduce to low heat.
- Cover the chili and allow to cook for the next 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Optional: Serve with sliced avocados
Buffalo Chicken Chili
Amount Per Serving:
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 8 g||12.3%|
|Saturated Fat 1.7g||8.5%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 33.7g||11.2%|
|Dietary Fiber 8.1g||32.4%|
|Sugars 7.6g (Added Sugar: 0 g)|
|Vitamin A 0%||Vitamin C 4%|
|Calcium 11%||Iron 22%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.