Turkey Breakfast Patties with Avocado Lime AioliJump to recipe
Rev your metabolism, boost your energy levels, decrease risk of diseases such as cancer and achieve a healthy weight by starting your day with these turkey breakfast patties. Research has shown that starting the day with breakfast is inversely associated with weight gain over ten years which may explain why 78% of people from the National Weight Control Registry report start their day with a hearty breakfast. In order to reap all of the breakfast-eating-benefits you’ll need to ditch the donuts, pastries and processed meats and choose quality foods like these homemade turkey sausage patties with avocado lime sauce.
Pass on the Sugary Cereal
While some may argue that eating bacon and sausage is more nutritious than eating a bowl of artificially colored, high-sugar cereal, neither are ideal choices. High sugar cereals (especially those from refined grains) have been associated with blood sugar spikes and weight gain. Breakfast cereals, granola bars, donuts, and pastries are not only extremely high in sugar but they also tend to lack adequate levels of protein. Consuming lean sources of protein with each meal is essential for regulating body weight because it enhances satiety, thermogenesis, energy efficiency and decreases body fat. Eating lean animal protein, such as lean ground turkey, has been found to increase diet-induced thermogenesis by 20-30%.
Cut Out Processed Meats
While sugary cereals provide a toxic load of sugar and refined grains, studies have shown that processed meats like bacon and sausage may pose a cancer risk. The most well-established connection between processed meat and cancer reveals that nitrates and nitrites increase the risk of bladder cancer and colorectal cancer. A recent study showed that eating 50 grams of processed meat per day was associated with a 20% increased risk of bladder cancer. Does that mean you can never enjoy bacon again? No! But it does mean that you shouldn’t eat it everyday and you can lower your risk of cancer by making your own turkey sausage patties.
The beauty of these Turkey Breakfast Patties with Avocado Lime Aioli is that the recipe provides a clean source of unprocessed meat that is homemade. And homemade is always better! It’s a win-win for everyone because it provides a rich source of protein and nourishment that is nitrate and nitrite-free. As an added bonus the patties can be cooked over the weekend and reheated throughout the week to save you a few extra minutes of sleep in the morning!
- 1 lb organic ground turkey
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp fennel
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Dash of sea salt
- Dash of black pepper
- 1 tsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 ripe avocado, mashed
- 1/4 cup avocado oil mayonnaise
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Optional: garnish with chives
- In a medium sized bowl mix the ground turkey with the following seasonings: sage, fennel, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder and a dash of sea salt and black pepper.
- Use your hands to form five patties.
- Add coconut oil to a large skillet and allow it to sit for 1-2 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the turkey sausage patties to the skillet.
- Cook each side for 3-4 minutes or until the inside is fully cooked.
- In a small bowl, combine avocado, avocado oil mayonnaise, lime juice, garlic, sea salt and cumin. Stir ingredients thoroughly.
- Serve each turkey burger with a dollop of the avocado lime cream and garnish with chives.
Turkey Breakfast Patties with Avocado Lime Aoli
Serves: 5 patties
Amount Per Serving:
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 19.9g||30.6%|
|Saturated Fat 4.4g||22%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 3.1g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.4g||5.6%|
|Vitamin A 0%||Vitamin C 6%|
|Calcium 3%||Iron *%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.